Date:      Fri, 1 Jul 2005 21:16:13 -0500
From:      "Sergio A. Reyes-Peniche" <sreyesp@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Yamaha DS-1E sound card problem

Hi,

I'm installing FreeBSD for the first time (version 5.4), although I've
been a Linux user for some years. The machine is an old laptop,
Toshiba Satellite 2805.

I followed the instructions in section 7.2.1 of the handbook, and
found out the needed kernel module is snd_ds1, and modified
/boot/loader.conf accordingly. cat /dev/sndstat gives me:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Yamaha DS-1E (YMF754)> at memory 0xefdf0000 irq 11 kld snd_ds1
(4p/2r/0v channels duplex default)

However, I have not been able to get any sound from the card. I tried
the different test methods outlined in section 7.2.2 to no avail.
Running mixer(8) gives me:

mixer: /dev/mixer: No such file or directory.

AFAIK I don't need to manually create any nodes in /dev, as I'm
running FreeBSD 5.4 with devfs, so I'm lost here.

Later I found that dmesg gives more information that /dev/sndstat:

pcm0: <Yamaha DS-1E (YMF754)> port 0xfebc-0xfebf,0xfec0-0xfeff mem
0xefdf0000-0xefdf7fff irq 11 at device 12.0 on pci0
pcm0: AC97 reset timed out.
pcm0: ac97 codec invalid or not present (id =3D=3D 0)

I don't think it is a hardware or CMOS setup problem, as I dual-boot
into Windows 2000, and the soundcard works OK.

Could anybody point me to any online resource I could use to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Sergio Reyes-Peniche