Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:35:12 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl, bde@zeta.org.au, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installation fails

>    Both options are not very satisfactory to you. ...

>As far as I can see, they are not satisfactory for a more basic reason:
>1) The install floppy does not seem to react to the -a or -r flags.

-r should work to boot from the default rootdev.  The default is wd0a
so it doesn't work for you.

>2) This `configure' activity you refer to sounds suspiciously like
>   compiling a kernel. I don't know how to do this.
>   [A feeble attempt using the fixit floppy and
>	mount /dev/sd1a /mnt;  mount /mnt/dev/sd1f /mnt/usr
>	PATH=/mnt/bin:/mnt/sbin:/mnt/usr/bin:$PATH
>	cd sys
>	make
>    fails on "make: no ld.so", and at first sight I couldn't find ld.so
>    either. Every other program not on the floppy fails in the same way.]
>In other words, this sounds like a solution that requires an
>already functioning FreeBSD system.

Try using `chroot /mnt' after the above mount.  It sort of works here.
The /usr on my test machine is nfs-mounted and this is too much trouble
to set up on the install disk, and running /etc/rc didn't work (mount
doesn't work properly in chrooted environments), but there should be
no problems running non-system applications in the chrooted environment.

Running make in /sys doesn't do much.  You need to edit the kernel config
and run config on it and cd to the kernel compile directory and run make
and `make install' there.

>        sd0s2a        partition `a' (presumably bootable) of second
>                slice on third SCSI disk, slice has a BSD label

>You don't mean first SCSI disk?

Yes.  Or the zeroth SCSI disk :-).

>        ...     have a BSD label (i.e., can be a MS-Dog slice)

>But if I am not mistaken the upshot of this experiment is that I
>can delete FreeBSD again from my fifth disk.  Nobody has
>so far suggested an approach that might get it to boot.

See above.  Another approach: boot the fixit disk mount and mount
the final root partition on /mnt as above; then edit /kernel using
a binary editor to change the variable `rootdev' to the device number
for the final root device using a binary editor; then boot with -r
from a floppy.

>[I can compile Linux on non-Linux machines, like a SUN Sparc
>with SunOS or an SGI with IRIX.  Does the FreeBSD kernel source
>allow cross compilation?  Do I need a special make?]

The makefiles have BSDisms so it would be easiest to use a previously
ported version of BSD make.

Bruce