Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 03:11:19 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Plan9 - a salutory tale

Given that participants (and lurkers) here are wont to tinker, this
may save someone some grief...

I thought I'd fiddle with Plan9 last night; the docco looked interesting,
the 4-disk evaluation kit was easily had, and all in all it sounded
like fun. (and aside from this, it was...)

Woe betide me for not more closely interpreting the description of what it
puts where on your disk 8)

I thought I'd stick it into a spare partition slot made by throwing out a
scratch partition.  Nope.  Plan9 uses its own partition table, and it
starts from the end of the disk and works backwards.  Effective, but
brutal 8(

Needless to say, fsck and the 2.0.5 CD came to the rescue, and amazingly
my home directories (the last thing on the disk) survived apparently
intact, but it's not a trick I'll be trying again...

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[