Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:23:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Alexander@Leidinger.net
Cc:        rwatson@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CTF patch for testing/review

In message: <20100326171241.16524bklcroedou8@webmail.leidinger.net>
            Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> writes:
: Quoting "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> (from Fri, 26 Mar 2010
: 09:37:17 -0600 (MDT)):
:
: > In message: <20100326101524.15695bisy2324t8g@webmail.leidinger.net>
: >             Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> writes:
: > : Quoting "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> (from Thu, 25 Mar 2010
: > : 07:37:36 -0600 (MDT)):
: > :
: > : > In general, I think this is OK.  I'd like to see the revised patch
: > : > before it is committed.
: > :
: > : And here it is:
: > :   http://www.Leidinger.net/test/ctf3.diff
: > :
: > : My commit log would be something like this:
: > : ---snip---
: > : WITH_CTF can now be specified in src.conf (not recommended, there
: > : are some problems with static executables), make.conf (would also
: > : affect ports which do not use GNU make and do not override the
: > : compile targets) or in the kernel config (via "makeoptions
: > : WITH_CTF=yes").
: > :
: > : Additional (related) changes:
: > :  - propagate WITH_CTF to module builds
: > :  - do not add -g to the linker flags, it's a noop there anyway
: > :    (at least according to the man page of ld)
: > :  - do not add -g yo CFLAGS unconditionally
: > : we need to have a look if it is really needed (IMO not) or if there
: > :    is a way to add it only when WITH_CTF is used
: > :
: > : Note: don't worry when you see ctfconvert lines appearing in your
: > : build,
: > : they are protected with a shell conditional and are not run as long
: > as
: > : you don't have WITH_CTF defined.
: > :
: > : Reviewed by:    imp, jhb, scottl (earlier version)
: > : Discussed on:   arch@
: > : ---snip---
: > :
: > : If nobody comes up with problems (or wants more time for the
: > review):
: > : I would like to commit this next week.
: >
: > I agree with John about the @ sign.
: >
: > I'm a little worried about the WITH_CTF being special, but not
: > documented as being special.  Can you add a note to bsd.own.mk
: > documenting it as such?
: >
: > Also, can you document WITH_CTF in build.9 please?  I know that
: > build.9 needs some updating, but we should at least try to keep up
: > with new things.  Many are missing now.  This would also be a good
: > place to mention WITH_CTF is special.
:
: I will have a look at it next week. As I'm not a native english
: speaker, you can expect another patch for review (text suggestions for
: build.9 are welcome, I will take care about the mdoc markup then).

How does this text look (posted so everybody can kibitz):

WITH_CTF	the build process will run the DTrace CTF conversion
		tools on built objects.  Please note that this WITH_
		option is handled differently than all other WITH_
		options (there's no WITHOUT_CTF, or corresponding
		MK_CTF in the build system).

Warner