Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:47:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Laptop Hard Drives

Hello all.

I'm looking for input on purchasing a laptop hard drive. My
AST Ascentia J20 sports an 810MB ibm hard drive. I'm thinking
about getting a larger drive so I don't have to worry about
housecleaning so much, but I have a couple of questions.

Are laptop hard drives any more proprietary than regular drives?
Is a new drive likely to just work as long as I get the
dimensions right?

I also saw a parenthetical note next to an ad for an ibm 810 MB
drive saying it's good for desktops too. Is it possible to use a
laptop drive in a desktop? I looked at my laptop hard drive once
before, and it seemed to me that the power supply cord was somehow
incorporated into the ribbon cable.

It would be great if I could just pop the new drive into my
desktop and dump/restore FreeBSD to it. That would be by
far the easiest way to get the configuration I've developed over
the years up and running on my old laptop.

Any input, pointers to reading, benefit of your experience
greatly appreciated.

Take care.

Greg