Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 09:13:45 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: required sources for kernel build

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 08:34:00AM -0800, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> Can anyone tell me which of the source distributions from sysinstall are
> required to build a kernel and nothing more?  I tried installing just
> 'base' and 'sys', but the kernel build failed.  I'm currently
> downloading the rest, but was curious which were safe to skip over in
> order to successfully run `make buildkernel`.

Only the "sys" distribution is required to build a kernel. The
"config" method is required in this case. The "make buildkernel"
method is only required if you're updating the kernel to later
versions (in which case you're required to do a "make buildworld" to
build the toolchain as well).
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>