Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 06:30:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@wireless.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        buaas@wireless.net
Subject:   Restoring old IPv4 raw socket behavior under 4.1-RELEASE

Hi All:

Just upgraded from 4.0-RELEASE to 4.1-RELEASE, and now a custom
application of ours that used to do:

socket(AF_INET, SOCK_RAW, 4);

No longer works with:
Protocol not supported opening socket.

As far as I can tell, this is because SOCK_RAW sockets now default to
IPv6. Is there a SIMPLE way to restore old ipv4 SOCK_RAW
socket() behavior, so that I don't need to have any IPv6 routes at all?

I tried replacing AF_INET with AF_INET6, but then I got host unreachable
from the sendto(), because I don't have IPv6 routes set up.

Thanks,

Bernie