Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 11:17:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Sascha Schumann <sas@schell.de>
Cc:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BASH prompt question

> On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, William Woods wrote:
>
> > I would like to make my bash prompt show a little more info, like what
> > dir the user is in. How would I do this?
>
> Edit /etc/profile and insert at the end:

Aaaaccckkkk!!!  NO, NO, NO, this is the sort of -personal preference-
customization that should NOT be placed in system-wide config files.
Even if you are (currently) the only user of that machine.  Let's not
encourage any bad habits.

> Then you can put all your personal stuff (in case your system is used by
> more than one) in your ~/.bashrc:
>
> PS1='\u@\h:`pwd -P` $ '
> export PS1

Yep, this is the way to do it.

> For more info, see man bash ;)

Even if you have enough info for now, go ahead and read through the
bash docs.  You'll probably find all sorts of interesting and useful
info there.  And even if you don't use it right away, it should help
you know where to look and what to look for later.

-Pat