Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:05:33 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Wijnand Wiersma <freebsd@4business.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bart@hakkefest.linux-site.net
Subject:   Re: partitions and slices

Wijnand Wiersma wrote:

> a friend of me asked me "why do I have to create slices within a
> partition? what's the function of this?"

You don't have to.  Using "dangerously dedicated" only creates partitions.

> what's wrong with partitions
> only like linux?"

Nothing, unless you want to install other OSes on the disk.  BSD partitions
are not compatible with DOS and it's relatives.  Therefore, if you want
the data accessible by other systems, you must create "slices" which
equate to DOS partitions, and then you can create BSD partitions within
the slices. All my disks are "dangerously dedicated" (because I use nothing
but FreeBSD) and there are no slices on them.

-Bill

--
"Where's the robot to pat you on the back?"