Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 12:28:54 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mark@linus.demon.co.uk, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

> > What, even without /home/joe/src/obj?  How about if joe had:
> >
> >     /home/joe/src/obj.i386 -> /home/joe/i386/obj
> >     /home/joe/src/obj.sparc -> /home/joe/sparc/obj
>
> That never worked. :-)

...entirely aside from the fact that there isn't an existing toolchain
that will let you do it anyway.  And I don't see any sparc code in the
FreeBSD tree, but I too have fielded questions about building from
read-only source distributions.  I for one _like_ the direction you're
headed 8)

If the tree is mounted on machines with native toolchains, then you
have MAKEOBJDIR set seperately for each of them, or you specify it on
the make commandline.  I can't for the life of me see what people are
whining about 8(