Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 1996 12:26:44 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: random() fix explanation to avoid misunderstanding

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Terry is right when he talk about needing to keep the PSEUDO-random code
> "golden".
>
> Jordan is right when he says that if you want repeatable results, it's
> best to carry your pseudo-random number code with you.
>
> If folks are going to change random.c anyway, I'd ask that either the
> old code be moved to a "compat" library, and/or find a way to have a
> per-process switch that provides a way to choose which version of the
> generator you're getting.

Wouldn't just an environment variable (USE_OLD_RANDOM) do the job? Most
people will not have it defined. For those who will need it, define it in
the manual page for random. Yes - it does increase the code size (=bloats
it) but is there any other way - as noted already, majority does not (or
does not in some time in the near future) need the old code. The minority
could just have it set in .login?

	Sander