Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:46:10 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Brian Curnow <brianccurnow@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: calcru: negative runtime

Brian Curnow wrote:

>I am new to BSD and just downloaded BSD 5.3-RELEASE.
>
>I saw a few other posts on this issue but I didn't see
>any solutions.
>
>I am getting excessive calcru: negative runtime
>messages in the syslog (and the console).
>
>According to the FAQ the solution is to use sysctl and
>set kern.timecounter.method=1, however this param does
>not exist in 5.3.
>
>Is there a solution to this issue?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Brian Curnow

$sysctl -a | grep timeco
kern.timecounter.stepwarnings: 0
kern.timecounter.nbinuptime: 4005177648
kern.timecounter.nnanouptime: 0
kern.timecounter.nmicrouptime: 1108115
kern.timecounter.nbintime: 1813993971
kern.timecounter.nnanotime: 207315298
kern.timecounter.nmicrotime: 1606545859
kern.timecounter.ngetbinuptime: 0
kern.timecounter.ngetnanouptime: 115004537
kern.timecounter.ngetmicrouptime: 3989727579
kern.timecounter.ngetbintime: 0
kern.timecounter.ngetnanotime: 526
kern.timecounter.ngetmicrotime: 201307619
kern.timecounter.nsetclock: 7
kern.timecounter.hardware: ACPI-fast
kern.timecounter.choice: TSC(800) ACPI-fast(1000) i8254(0) dummy(-1000000)
kern.timecounter.tick: 1

I'm not the expert here, but I think I've experience.

Examine the options your system has for "kern.timecounter.choice"
(you can see above how I did it) and experiment until you find (if you
find) a setting that seems to fix the problem.  Certain chipsets
seem to have issues, but I couldn't say which ones.  I have, however,
fixed a couple of boxes by picking a different value for this sysctl.

It's likely that the FAQ hasn't yet been completely transformed
into a "post-5.3-is-now-stable" format, since people were warned
that 5.0-5.2 weren't "production releases".  If you find that this
helps you, write back and I'll try sometime Real Soon Now(tm)
to send a patch to the FDP folks to address that issue....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey