Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 08:32:04 -0000
From:      "Roger Hardiman" <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        "Gerald Heinig" <heinig@hdz-ima.rwth-aachen.de>, "Gary Jennejohn" <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        <isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help - I need a login shell over my ISDN line

Hi

>I seem to remember Roger saying he didnīt want ppp for some reason. If
>raw ip isnīt an option either, then it sounds as though heīs looking for
>something like X.75
>Hmmm... cool idea for a project... :-)

Well, my GSM mobile phones work in v.110 and that
is what I want.

I have to admit I've no idea what X.75 is.

ppp or raw ip over ISDN is not an option for me.
I'm replacing an exisitng analogue dial up system with ISDN.

The current code on Win98 does this....
Opens COM2, issues AT codes to dial up, get the connection,
does its stuff, then terminates the call. No PPP or network
protocols involved.

I want to do the same, but dial an ISDN number instead.
The GSM mobile to supports V.110 but i4b does not.
So, I got an External ISDN TA now, and that plugs into
a serial port on my FreeBSD machine. It supports
v.110 and my Win98 code can dial the ISDN line perfectly
with no changes.

So, what is involved in v.110?

I presume there is a protocol handshake
"I support these speeds", "what speeds can you support?"
"ok lets agree on speed xxxx", "ok"
"Print CONNECTED at xxxx"

Anything else?

Roger