Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2006 19:49:00 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.5-stable network interface rl0 stops working

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 06:40:58PM +0200, Hank Hampel wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>=20
> I have a very disturbing problem with one of our FreeBSD 5.5-stable
> machines. It is a box on which ~10 jail systems run, each with
> small to moderate network traffic.
>=20
> Now from time to time - sometimes after a few days, sometimes after a
> couple of weeks - the network interface rl0 (which is the main
> interface on the maschine, rl1 is for backups/internal use only) stops
> working.

Are they physically on the motherboard? Or on PCI cards? In the latter
case try reseating the card in the slot.

Try switching rl0 and rl1, and see if te problem persists. Also,
swapping out the ethernet cable is worth trying.

Another thing to check is if rl0 is sharing an interrupt with another
device. That can cause problems.

> Each jailed system has its own firewall ruleset, permitting only
> traffic for the services in that specific jail. The packet filter used
> is ipfw. Some of the rules are stateful (keep-state).
>=20
> When rl0 stops working ipfw loggs lots of denied packets so that it
> seems that the dynamic (keep-state) rules don't work any longer. We
> checked and increased the buffers for the dynamic rules to no avail -
> I doubt they are part of the problem. I'm not even sure ipfw is part
> of the problem.

Does the problem persist without ipfw? I've got an rl0 card on my
workstation (6.1-STABLE, amd64, using PF without problems)

> After the stop on the interface occurs there is no other way to get
> the interface up and running again than rebooting the whole machine.
> Restarting /etc/rc.d/netif, the jails or ipfw doesn't help anything.

What does ifconfig say after the interface stops working?
=20
> The bad thing is I haven't found any way to trigger this problem so
> that I can only check and change things and wait if the situation
> improves or not. For example I've already set debug.mpsafenet=3D"0" but
> this doesn't help, in contrast it seems to worsen the problem a little
> bit.

> Find attached the dmesg output of the machine. If any other
> information is needed to hunt down the cause of this problem please
> let me know. I checked various list archives but haven't found a clue
> yet.

Anything in the logs, except the denied packets?

Roland
--=20

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm--