Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:04:25 +0200
From:      Jona Joachim <jaj@hcl-club.lu>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What Linux^W distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:50:12 +0200
"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org> wrote:

> > Lenovo is asking this at
> > <http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=3D98>; and, yes!, FreeBSD is
> > a proposed choice.
> >
> > ATM, the first choice is "Anyone that refuses to carry binary-only
> > drivers, so that all others will also benefit, as it will require
> > documented hardware", which is also a very good choice.
>
> I of course like source too,
> but this rather destroys the force of that argument:
> 	On FreeBSD-6.2-RELEASE:
> 	man nve
> 	then go use find on /usr/src. it's a BLOB < Linux & MS compat
> PS there's source coming in from elsewhere now for
> 	man nfe
> in 7-current & patches for stable & 6.2

> nve, though again, yes we all prefer source avail. too :-)

Yup, the only mainstream operating systems / distributions that match
"Anyone that refuses to carry binary-only drivers, so that all others
will also benefit, as it will require documented hardware" are Debian
GNU/Linux and OpenBSD.

Jona

--
"I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists
build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children and clowns