Date:      Sat, 27 May 2006 11:09:55 -0500
From:      "Dr. Rich Murphey" <Rich@WhiteOakLabs.com>
To:        performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poor Samba throughput on 6.0

Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Nash Nipples wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>> has anyone actually managed to speed up the thing up to 10-12 MB/s
>>
>> i have a good 7-9 MB/s on large files and that should be enough, but
>> still, out of curiosity?
>>

> No, not really. The performance of samba on freebsd still sucks. I
> have a gigabit link between my samba server and windows xp
> workstation, both use the intel em card. The fastest i can download
> from the freebsd server is 15.946 MB/s, fastest upload to is 13.594
> MB/s. Thats pretty poor for a gigabit link. However, 9MB/s on your
> link is not bad at all, one has to consider the protocol overhead.
I get 25 to 30MB/sec between FreeBSD 6.0 and Windows XP
clients with tcp.inflight disabled and interrupt polling enabled
on a 1gb link without jumbo frames.

The various Linux distributions do about the same on this hardware -
3ware striped raid arrays, dual xeon, and 2Gb ram.

in smb.conf I'm using:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
strict locking = no
use sendfile = yes

6.1 should be easier to tune in that tcp.inflight is selectively
disabled by default for low latency (LAN) connections.

Rich