Date:      Fri, 1 May 1998 19:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbies and advocacy Was: FreeBSD vs YouKnowWho

On Sat, 2 May 1998, John Kelly wrote:

>Linux is a good as a UNIX learning tool and a place for newbies to
>start.  If they cut their teeth on Linux, we won't be inundated by a
>horde of newbies who know next to nothing about UNIX.

Just about two years ago I was one of those newbies. After learning 'ls'
on the school account, I downloaded FreeBSD. That is just how fresh I was.
Man that is kind of funny. All I knew was 'ls'' one day. The next day I
was a "sysadmin" (sic).

I do not intend to denigrate your position. We should be cheering to be
inundated with newbies. I would just like you to realize that part of the
reason I am a supporter of free software and FreeBSD is because of the
help I have received from the community when I was a newbie.

If someone gave me an attitude like "RTFM, or I am to busy to help because
I am inundated with newbies." I would have felt unwelcome. Instead, I
got an answer, "You really should use vipw to change your default shell.
OBTW, read 'man vipw'"

The difference to a newbie in these two approaches is IMMENSE.

(Mind you I am not inredibly supportive of the person who says "FreeBSD
sucks. It wiped out everything..... I get these types at work too.)

It did not take me long to realize that I was more correct in calling
FreeBSD a community that an OS. This is something that MS absolutely
cannot offer. It is something that FreeBSD should continue to capitalize
on.

(You can also visit Mr. Lehey's web page for another testimonial as to why
I like FreeBSD.)

-Doug White has helped me numerous times.
-Greg Lehey has helped me numerous times. Greg even had to take me down a
notch one time when I got a bit "cheeky" on a reply I made that included
one of his answers. I ended up apologizing.
-Jordan Hubbard has helped me. He also also put up with a couple
extraneous send-prs from me. His patience is extraordinary.
-David Greenman has been supportive as well.
-Countless others.

All of these guys are super-stars. They all had time to help _me_.

I know that the time these gentleman have spent helping me along has
distrated them from more important things. This is precisely one of the
reasons that I am a supporter of FreeBSD.

You cannot _buy_ a better vehicle for advocacy then supporting newbies
patiently. The best way to help advocate FreeBSD that anyone can do is to
get on -questions and provide a "community" with which newbies can
associate. They will appreciate _us_ for it.

We will win their support in return.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/