Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:41:46 -0400
From:      "Jason E. Hale" <bsdkaffee@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jerry <freebsd-ports.user@seibercom.net>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to update/build "security/gpa"

On Monday, June 21, 2010 15:07:38 Doug Barton wrote:
> On 06/20/10 09:30, Jason E. Hale wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 20, 2010 06:55:52 you wrote:
> >> FreeBSD-PRERELEASE 8.1 amd64
> >>
> >> Since the release of "libassuan-2.0.0", I have not been able to
> >> update or reinstall "security/GPA". All of the other ports appear
> >> to build fine.
>
> Jerry,
>
> I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. At this time if you want
> to use gpa the only alternative is to use gnupg 1.x. I realize that's
> not necessarily an attractive alternative, but see below.

GPA won't work with gnupg 1.x.  It requires gpgsm which is only provided by
gnupg 2.x.  I have submitted a PR to make GPA work with libassuan 2.x.  I have
also submitted a PR for the latest version of GPGME which is also required.

GPGME: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=148061
GPA: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=148062

> > I know all too well.  Unfortunately a committer made a hasty move and
> > updated libassuan to version 2.0.0 and then made gnupg 2.x use the
> > newer libassuan.
>
> Jason,
>
> It wasn't hasty. My first public message to maintainers of affected
> ports went out on May 11th. According to this message on May 12th you
> seemed quite optimistic that you would be able to deal with gpa, and
> actually gave some helpful information on some of the other ports
> as well, which I appreciated.
>
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2010-May/008334.html
>
> In subsequent messages I agreed with your suggestion that handling
> everything at once was the best option, however after repeated prompting
> neither you, nor any of the other maintainers came forward with patches
> to accomplish that. Due to a bug in gnupg 2.0.14 (albeit a minor one) I
> thought it was important to move forward with the upgrade prior to
> 8.1-RELEASE.
>
> FWIW, I agree that the situation with libassuan 2.x being incompatible
> with 1.x is not ideal, but it's not something I have any control over.
> The authors of the software made that choice, and the theory is that the
> benefits outweigh the costs. I hope they are right. :)

I couldn't really do anything with my ports until their dependencies were
updated first (which you have done).  I would have liked to have gotten the
updated ports for the dependencies ahead of time so I could tackle my ports
before they broke.  As a KDE user, I also didn't want to see kdepim4 lose
functionality.  However, seeing how the gnupg developers saw fit to release
all of their software in reverse dependency order, I guess a few small
sacrifices are acceptable.

> > This of course turns into a chain of conflicts because everything
> > else that depends on libassuan 1.x usually needs gnupg 2.x as well.
>
> Anything that depends on gnupg 2.x will also work with 1.x as it applies
> to strict gnupg functionality. Once again, I realize that this is not
> necessarily the most desirable option, however it _does_ leave the users
> with a path.
>
> It's probably also worth pointing that out of the 3 remaining ports that
> need to be fixed, kdepim will be fixed in the next release, and the kde
> folks have already committed to dealing with it. In opensc the
> dependency is optional, and the feature that depends on it will be
> removed in the next version anyway.
>
> > I am working to resolve the situation for my ports,
>
> Do you have ports other than gpa that are affected by this change?
>
> > however, the author of gpa has not released a version that will work
> > with libassuan 2.x.
>
> I asked Werner about this, and unfortunately it's not likely that he
> will be able to cut a new release of gpa prior to our 8.1-RELEASE. Are
> you still optimistic about using what's in their source tree to produce
> a patch for libassuan 2.x compatibility? I downloaded their tree but
> haven't had time to look at it much since I've had other urgent issues
> to handle.
>
> > There is a ports freeze now too, so I am not sure if my updates will
> > even go through for a while.
>
> Just in case I haven't been clear, if you get a patch for gpa I will
> commit it. Making it work with libassuan 2.0.0 definitely falls into the
> category of what's acceptable to commit during the slush.

Thanks, the PR links are above. I CC'd you as well.

> > If you really need to use gpa immediately, I suggest downgrading
> > everything that depended on libassuan 2.x to use libassuan 1.x.
>
> At this point the only thing that depends on it is gnupg 2.x (and
> dirmngr, but the only thing that depends on it is gnupg 2.x).
>

> hth,
>
> Doug

Regards,
Jason