Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:29:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuration of DHCPD + DNS

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, James A. Mutter wrote:

{...}

> What I'd like in the end is to be able to add boxes to the network,
> and instantly provide nameservice to them without having to
> reconfigure and restart named each time I add a new machine.
>
> Is this possible or am I dreaming?  If it is possible, without any
> extensive modifications, I plan to use it on a much larger network
> than the one in my apartment!

Its not quite what you're intending, but what I've done at work (running
an internal root DNS config) is to create DNS references of the form
ccc??? - where ccc represents some location code, and ??? is the last
octet of the IP address; references are created for all IP addresses to
be used by Win95 PCs.

This way I don't have to bother updating DNS at all....

This works satisfactorily because the W95 pc doesn't actually care about
its DNS name (ours have their "windows" machine name set to an inventory
code).  We concluded that trying to have a DNS name follow a specific user
was an impossible dream, so there wasn't much point about trying to be
dynamic about DNS names.  We also use static IP assignment, partly because
we were originally running bootp, and partly because it allows us to have
redundant dhcp servers covering nearly all the active machines.  Each dhcp
server does have a small, unique range of dynamic use addresses for
laptops etc.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia