Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 10:11:53 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Dmitry Samersoff <dms@wplus.net>
Cc:        Travis Cole <tcole@wcug.wwu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bpf question

In the last episode (May 19), Dmitry Samersoff said:
> On 18-May-2000 Travis Cole wrote:
> > On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 05:51:59PM +0400, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:
> >> I have traffic metering program using bpf, it works fine on
> >> relatevly free net but looses about 30% of packets on havy loaded
> >> one.
> >
> > Are you doing dns lookups?  Don't do those and you may fix your problem.
>
> Thanks for all.  I tryed all usual solution (change CPU, bring packet
> parsing out of reading thread and so on.) and now

Define "heavily loaded".  If you just run "tcpdump -n" for a couple
minutes and hit ^C, does it report any dropped packets?  If it does,
then your machine probably isn't fast enough to handle the network
load.  If I flood my 100mbit network with small packets, and monitor it
on a P6/200 with "tcpdump -n", I drop from 1-10% of the packets.  If I
use "tcpdump -n -w logfile.txt", I drop no packets.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com