Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2001 08:13:53 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Ilya <mail@krel.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: maximum logged in users to sshd

Ilya wrote:

> where can i change the setting  which allows more than 6 users to be logged
> in via ssh?
> After i opened 6 terminals via ssh i receive this in sshd.log
> Jun  3 23:23:16 alchemistry sshd[88589]: Failed password for NOUSER from
> 192.168.0.1 port 4302 ssh2
> Jun  3 23:23:21 alchemistry sshd[88589]: Failed password for NOUSER from
> 192.168.0.1 port 4302 ssh2
> Jun  3 23:23:28 alchemistry sshd[88589]: Failed password for NOUSER from
> 192.168.0.1 port 4302 ssh2
> Jun  3 23:24:04 alchemistry sshd[88589]: Received disconnect: 13: The user
> canceled authentication.
> Jun  3 23:24:29 alchemistry sshd[93912]: input_userauth_request: illegal
> user ilya
>
> i opened telnet and was able to login many more times, so it seems its the
> problem with sshd somewhere

Are you sure you're entering the correct password/username ... the
message seems to suggest that you didn't provide a username, and then
provided an invalid username.
Also, check config in /etc/ssh/

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?