Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:55:26 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Console options for legacy-free mini-itx server?

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 06:36:16PM -0500, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Sunday 14 November 2010 11:55 pm, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> > Oh: the other thing about this system: I can't warm-start
> > it, have to power down and then manually hit the power-on
> > button.  Attempting to reboot leaves the console sitting at
> > something like "Stopping other CPUs" forever.  I assume that
> > this is a BIOS config problem, but haven't found the right
> > control knob yet.  I've tried turning hyperthreading on and off:
> > no difference.  Reading the kernel code around that message
> > suggests that rebooting involves getting the keyboard controller
> > to send an NMI, and I wonder if the legacy-free no-keyboard
> > state of my system is having an effect on that, too?
>
> You may try "sysctl hw.acpi.handle_reboot=1".  If it works, just add
> it in /etc/sysctl.conf.
>
> FYI, it is automatically set since r213755 and MFC'd to stable/8 as
> r215006.

I've just checked, and my system has that sysctl knob set to 1
already.  I don't know how long that has been the case, though:
perhaps it has only been since my last boot anyway?  I will
give reboot another try when I am next in the same room as the
machine...

I still track -stable with csup, because I believed that to be
the officially preferred method.  Is it OK to track directly
with svn, now?  More specifically, how can one correlate svn
revision numbers against a csup-extracted source tree?

Cheers,

--
Andrew