Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:16:03 +1100
From:      "David James" <davidj@zip.com.au>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions@Freebsd.Org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Primary partition set inactive after freebsd shutdown

Hi,

I have two hard IDE disks. The primary master has one partition, which is
Win95 (old style FAT), and has the BootEasy boot manager on it. The primary
slave has a primary dos, an extended dos, and a FreeBSD partition.

Ordinarily, the win95 partition is set active so I can boot from it.
However, when I start the computer after using FreeBSD I find that it cannot
boot because there are no active partitions. To fix it I have to use a win95
boot disk and FDISK to set it active. The problem does not occur when I
start the computer after using win95. (By "start the computer" I mean either
reboot or switch it on.)

This problem only started after I flash-upgraded my BIOS. My motherboard is
ABIT LX6, upgraded from the release version to version DR. After the upgrade
I noticed that win95 went weird, but after rebooting a few times for it to
re-detect and re-install the plug and play hardware it was fine. FreeBSD
didn't have any problems _running_ after the BIOS change, just that it won't
reboot properly.

There was a post to this mailing list about a month ago describing the same
symptoms, except it was immediately after installing FreeBSD that the
problem occurred. The problem was diagnosed as a SysCommander (boot manager)
problem, but my experience suggests that there's something else gone wrong.
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=393006+0+/usr/local/www/db/text
/1998/freebsd-questions/19980927.freebsd-questions> (by the way, is there
any shorter URL to refer to a mailing list post? :-)

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem, or what further information is
needed to solve it, are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

David James
davidj@zip.com.au
(please reply to me as I am not on the list)