Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:56:20 +0100
From:      Mike <michel.boto@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I need help with external USB DVD writer.

FreeBSD User Giacomo wrote:
> Hi.
> I have bought recently an external USB DVD writer Samsung Super (model SE-S184M/EUBN).
> I do not succeed in to burn DVD (only CD).
> The system (FreeBSD 6,1) recognizes masterizzatore like:
>
> umass0: TSST corp USB Mass Storage Device, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 3 cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> cd0: <TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M SB02> device Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0
> cd0: 40.000MB/s transfers
> cd0: Device Attempt to query size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present - tray close

What does usbdevs -v show?

> If I use the comand whith a dvd+rw : dvd+rw- format /dev/cd0
> I obtain
>
> * DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro@fy. chalmers.se>, version 6.0.
> :-( (unable to GET CONFIGURATION:
> Input/output error and on the consul: umass0:
> Unsupported ATAPI command 0x46.

Your drive probably isn't MMC-capable.  Try updating the firmware.  For
a Samsung go here:
http://www.samsungoms-europe.com/samsung.php?section=download and get
the firmware updating tool (it's called LiveUpdate or something).  It
only works in Windows, so hope that isn't a problem.  If there's a
firmware upgrade for your drive, it might fix this error and allow the
FreeBSD dvd-tools to read your burner's configuration.