Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:26:54 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rsh/Rlogin/Rcmd & friends

In message <200009160614.e8G6EqZ89121@orthanc.ab.ca> Lyndon Nerenberg writes:
: These patches fix the (binary ONLY) dump commands on:
:
:    Linux
:    AIX
:    HP/UX
:    Tru 64
:    Solaris
:    IRIX
:
: ?

No.  They just allow one to specify an alternative transport.  It
allows for easy secure transport for remote dumps.  I don't see it as
a reason to remove rsh/rshd, but do admit that it would be one step
closer to that.  There's a lot of reasons to move towards this, but
we're not close to being there yet.

: (Un)fortunately, the entire universe does not (yet) run FreeBSD. Me, I
: have to do a lot of backups with rsh.

I know.  that's why at the very least we should have the ability to
install rsh.  I'm not sure that eliminating rsh, rlogin and telnet are
a desriable thing, but at the same time I'd like to see them die.  ftp
is used for anonymous ftp, so it should likely remain.

Warner