Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:24:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gorgonio Araújo <gorgonio@nexos.com.br>
Cc:        FREEBSD-INSTALL@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1023 BIOS limit

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Gorgonio Araújo wrote:

> My HD is a 6696/15/63 (cyl/hd/sec) Maxtor 83240D4 ATA driver. The "/"
> was labeled as offset 0 and size 65536 sectors (so it's bellow cylinder
> 70!). During the boot, before load the kernel, the system is complaining
>
>     "Error: C:2079 > 1023 (BIOS limit)".
>
> I guess that some boot sector was moved to a cylinder over 1023 by
> bad144. Is it possible?

Or you installed the system so that the root filesystem straddled the
limit, and part of the kernel is over the line.

> If so what do you suggest to skip this
> condition. Is there any other way then to create a slice just to keep
> partition /?

Make your root FS small enough so it'll fit underneath the 500mb limit (or
wherever you're hitting it, you didn't mention how big the disk is in MB).
The rest of the system can be wherever.