Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:00:01 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        Joe Rhett <jrhett@isite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sil3114 SATA RAID

Joe Rhett wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 03:00:11PM +0200, Sren Schmidt wrote:
>=20
>>yuval levy wrote:
>>
>>>Good day
>>>Is support for the Sil3114 (as found on Tyan S2882
>>>motherboard) in RAID mode planned for FreeBSD 5.3?
>>
>>Depends on which RAID type your particular one is using. The "RAID" on =

>>these controllers are done in software so the driver has to know how to=
=20
>>read the metadata defining the RAID setup from the drives.
>>Currently I support Promise/HighPoint/LSI metadata, Adaptec is being=20
>>worked on..
>=20
> This answer leaves us to guess what you mean.  Could you be more explic=
it
> about what you do and don't support with the sil3114 controller?

I do support the *hardware* that is the SiI3114 chip. That means you=20
will get access to the individual disks on the 4 SATA channels just like =

any other (S)ATA controller.

Now the RAID "stuff" you are talking about is all done in *software* so=20
  it depends on the BIOS type/vendor and what type of metadata it uses.=20
Software RAID's are supported from Promise/HighPoint/LSI as I stated=20
above, if thats not what you have the ATA driver doesn't know how to=20
pick up the metadata from the disks, and therefore doesn't know what the =

RAID looks like.

However, atacontrol can create at RAID for you on any type of (S)ATA=20
controller, you just have to live with certain restrictions, se 'man=20
atacontrol' for details.

-S=F8ren