Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:37:25 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error making new kernel

> Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:54:22 +0200 From: Willie Viljoen
> <will@unfoldings.net> Subject: Re: error making new kernel
>
> On Wednesday 05 February 2003 14:35, Erik Paulsen Sk=E5lerud
> wrote:
>
> > This is a pretty frequent question that I see alot of on the
> > lists and in different FreeBSD-channels on IRC.

> > Perhaps someone should implent some kind of kernel-config
> > checker that sees over the config and tells the user if
> > something important is missing (like scsbus and da if you're
> > going to use umass). I am sure that there are several other
> > things it could check aswell.

> > I'd love to make one myself, the only problem is that I don't know
> > enough about shell-scripting to do this.

> That shouldn't really be needed. If people took the time to
> read the comments in the GENERIC and LINT files, they would
> never get dependancy problems :)

And his GENERIC differs from the GENERIC I have.

The scbus IS defined in GENERIC.  I'm suspecting that the
person who posted this originally modified GENERIC but did not say
so.   I always make sure my GENERIC is always untouched because
I've never had a problem compiling an untouched GENERIC.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com