Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:01:28 +0100
From:      Squat <sirsquat@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS: Booting problem with zfsboot and MBR

After upgrading my ZFS rootpool from v14 to v15 (and ZFS from v1 to
v4) I've been unable to boot my system.
At first the booting process of cause complained that the pool was v15
while it expected v14. (Plan was to look into the gpart equivalent for
MBR/slices later, sometime).

So I booted up from a USB memory stick, imported the pool and dd-ed
over /boot/zfsboot from my rootpool as described in:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/ZFSBootPartition (my system was
installed pretty much as described in this guide, as 8.0-RC1, but with
ad0 and ad4 in a mirror).
(dd if=/mnt/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ad0s1 count=1
dd if=/mnt/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ad0s1a skip=1 seek=1024)
exported my rootpool and rebooted.
No my system doesn't get to complain about zpool version, the booting
process just hang on "-" (hyphen).
Tried again with the /mnt2/boot/zfsboot from the 8.2-RELEASE memory
stick with the same result.

Kind of look like the problem described in:
even though my zfsboot was from 8.2-RELEASE.
So I've tried with zfsboot from 9.0-CURRENT from mid january and 2011-03-10,
but the result is the same (expect that I now can reboot from "-" with
Ctrl+Alt+Delete).

Then I went over to that maybe the problem is that I was stupid enough
to import my rootpool and use /boot/zfsboot from there (as is the same
on the .img I booted from), but as I understand:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-February/010813.html
the /boot/zfsboot from 9.0-CURRENT 2011-03-10 should be able to boot
an exported zpool?

I've also tried to replace the boot0 with:
gpart bootcode -b /mnt/boot/boot0 ad0
from 8.2-RELEASE. (Still just "-" after I push F1).

How can I get up my system again?
Or where should I focus my troubleshooting when the booting process
just gets to "-" and halts with that?

(I'm sorry if I posted this message on the wrong list/channel or
anything like that, it's my first.)
And thanks to everyone who've contributed to FreeBSD, especially those
who've worked with ZFS.

--
Tor Halvard Furulund