Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:21:06 -0800
From:      Ben Speirs <igiveup@ix.netcom.com>
To:        tom brown <tomb@cgf.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realaudio short sound clip then silence....

tom brown wrote:

> So having found most of the answers to the problems I have been having
> with RealAudio, I am so close!!!
>
> I click on the link for the audio I want.  RealPlayer starts and reports
> the following error
> LINUX: 'ioctl' fd=7, typ=0x44d(M), num=0x76 not implemented
>
> But it keeps going and plays about 0.2 sec of the desired clip and then
> silence... keeps counting and finally  stops at about 7 seconds.
>
> I have tried the updating the emulation to get rid of the error
> message.  And even though the problem message was suposed to have been
> fixed a long time ago, PR/ it still occures.  I'm not convinced that is
> the problem but I'm not and expert with emulation.
>
> This is the setup.
>
> FreeBSD 3.4
> RealPlayerG2 for linux.
> Linux 6.1 compat libs from the emulators page
> Soundblaster AWE 64
>
> Can anyone help?

I have a similar setup (replace the AWE64 with an AWE32) and I get
similar results.  For every video or audio clip I play that same 'ioctl'
message pops up.  Only the fd=# changes occasionally.  Most clips play
fine, but a few exhibit that 1 second intro before it core dumps.  When
this happens the error message to the terminal window is :

	shmget: Cannot allocate memory

and doing a "gdb -c realplay.core"  reports :

	Core was generated by `realplay'.
	#0  0x288a2679 in ?? ()

.
.
.

While I have been testing this it has gotten worse.  Now no video clips
will play, only audio.  I unloaded the linux.ko module and reloaded it
with no effect.  Hmm?  Seems I'm probably causing more confusion here.
I better bow out and let the experts handle this.

One last comment though, the Linux version of rvplayer 5.0 is still
working fine after all this.  Of, course it does not do any G2 encoded
files/streams.

--
-Ben Speirs