Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:41:19 +0100
From:      martinko <martinkov@pobox.sk>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Cc:        martinko <martinkov@pobox.sk>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cx states missing after upgrade -- Was: Re: HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006

Kevin Oberman wrote:

>>Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:46:49 +0100
>>From: martinko <martinkov@pobox.sk>

>>>What value do you have in /etc/rc.conf (if any) for
>>>performance_cx_lowest? It defaults to HIGH which will limit you to only
>>>the most power hungry sleep state (simple halt). This was made the
>>>default because some hardware was breaking when this was defaulted to
>>>LOW. T0 get other Cx states to be utilized, add
>>>'performance_cx_lowest="LOW"' to /etc/rc.conf.
>>>

>>i see.
>>
>>anyway:
>>
>># grep cx /etc/rc.conf.local
>>economy_cx_lowest="LOW"
>>performance_cx_lowest="LOW"
>>
>>still:
>>
>># sysctl hw.acpi.cpu
>>hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/1
>>hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
>>hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage: 100.00%
>>
>>and, imho, cx_supported should list all available states, doesn't matter
>>what is in rc.conf. (well, at least i reckon it's supposed to work that
>>way.)
>>
>>but:
>>
>>i already had 3 Cx states back on 5.3.
>>and when i had them, C2 was used most often (and C3 wasn't at all iirc).
>>
>>so what has changed in the system please and how am i to get back my
>>states please ??
>>

>This is a totally different problem. I thought that the problem was
>simply not using all of the states. Instead, you are not even showing the
>states as available. Looks like the kernel is not reading the
>capabilities of your system correctly.
>
>This seems to coincide with the new ACPI code import. Sounds like
>something is not being handled properly and it is likely beyond my
>capability to track it down.
>
>I would suggest posting your the output of 'acpidump -t -d' on a web
>site and then sending a report with a pointer to that ASL to
>freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org. There it will be seen by the folks who really
>know the ACPI stuff.

hello!

thank you, kevin.

i did as you advised and here are the outputs of acpidump:

# acpidump -t -d -o asus_w1n.dsdt > asus_w1n.asl
acpidump: RSDT entry 1 (sig OEMB) is corrupt

http://mato.gamato.org/freebsd/aw1n/asus_w1n.dsdt
http://mato.gamato.org/freebsd/aw1n/asus_w1n.asl

i look forward to hearing from you folks.. :-)

many thanks!

regards,

martin