Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 07:52:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support (please don't)

>From: "Andrew Reilly" <andrew@lake.com.au>
>Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:27:13 +1000

>This sounds like an argument for file system use profiling and
>tweaking to me.  We already have an optimisation for symlinks of
>a certain size that can reside directly in the inode (replacing
>the indirect pointers).  Perhaps icons can do that too....

While I was reading the above, it occurred to me that it isn't all that
uncommon for a given executable to have multiple links, sometimes with
different behavior depending on the name by which the executable was
invoked.  I would be moderately surprised if, in an environment where
different executables had distinguishable icons, the different links to
the same executable were required to share the same icon.

That would seem to complicate the above a bit.

It then (finally!) dawned on me that this same concern could well
complicate the original proposal (of making use of a new section in the
ELF executable).  Note:  this by no means makes the proposal impossible,
or even (necessarily) infeasible; it merely requires that the issue be
addressed -- preferably, intentionally.

Some days I'm slower than others....  :-}

But since I didn't recall anyone else mentioning the point (well, at
least I didn't recognize it if it *was* being made), I thought it might
be useful to mention.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621