Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 01:28:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ramon G. Ricca" <rricca@columbus.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help with BootEasy...

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Crist J . Clark wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 06:01:26PM -0500, Ramon G. Ricca wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm relatively new to freebsd and have somehow hosed windows on my
> > first partition.  When everything worked I got this message at startup:
> >
> > F1	Windows
> > F2	FreeBSD
> > F3	FreeBSD
> >
> > However,  it was sort of annoying because the second freebsd partition is
> > the location of my /home directory (not bootable).
>
> OK, let's get the terminology straight. On your third slice (third
> MS-DOS partition), you have one or more FreeBSD partitions, including
> /home, but none are bootable.

Well,  fdisk /dev/ad0 gives me:
<snip>

The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 11,(DOS or Windows 95 with 32 bit FAT)
    start 63, size 6152832 (3004 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 382/ sector 63/ head 254
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 6152895, size 4289355 (2094 Meg), flag 80 (active)
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 6152895, size 4289355 (2094 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 383/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 649/ sector 63/ head 254
The data for partition 3 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 10442250, size 2249100 (1098 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 650/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 789/ sector 63/ head 254
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

I'm not sure whice slice is windows exactly (fdisk showed the first to be
windows).

> > So I used boot0cfg to
> > mask off the third slice (-m 0x3) and found that it got rid of the third
> > slice, except when I try to boot into windows, when I get something like
> > the following:
> >
> > F1	Windows
> > F2	FreeBSD
> > F3	Disk0
>
> So after you get the first menu above, you then hit 'F1,' which is
> supposed to have Windows, but instead you get the second menu show
> here? Not good.

yes to the above statement.

> > The computer beeps and doesn't boot the first slice, but will boot the
> > second (FreeBSD).
>
> Are you saying that you now hit 'F1' again, but it beeps and boots
> FreeBSD anyway? Did everything work before you did the boot0cfg?
Sorry, I wasn't clear on this.  When I hit 'F1' to boot windows it beeps
and  gives me the second menu and doesn't boot anything. However, if I
press 'F2' on either one of the menus that I listed, it will boot freebsd.

The whole thing worked originally,  but the only things that I changed
from the original settings were the masks (I experimented with boot0cfg
-m). I did install the new boot0 update (the errata on 4.1 suggested
this).

> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.edu

Thanks for any help...