Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:02:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        blk@skynet.be (Brad Knowles)
Cc:        oberman@es.net (Kevin Oberman), khera@kciLink.com (Vivek Khera), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: affordable wireless

> >  We can agree that the 40 bit stuff is not worth the trouble. My 128
> >  bit Lucent card says "128-bit RC-4 encryption". Last I heard, RC-4 was
> >  not considered a "safe" algorithm.
>
> 	Looking at my card, I see that you are absolutely right -- it is
> 128-bit RC4.  I am not personally aware of any security weaknesses in
> this algorithm, but I agree that it is not widely used, and I believe
> that is probably because it is not felt to be as secure as
> Triple-DES, CAST-128, or IDEA.

J. Daemen, R. Govaerts, J. Vandewalle, "Resynchronization weaknesses
in synchronous stream ciphers," Advances in Cryptology, Proceedings
Eurocrypt'93, LNCS 765, T. Helleseth, Ed., Springer-Verlag, 1994,
pp. 159-169.

32. J. Goli'c, "Linear statistical weakness of alleged RC4 keystream
generator," Advances in Cryptology, Proc.  Eurocrypt'97, LNCS 1233,
W. Fumy, Ed., SpringerVerlag, 1997, pp. 226--238.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.