Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:44:33 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Mike Schuette <mikes@mscweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: want to change my gateway to fbsd from win xp

Mike Schuette wrote:

> Marty Landman wrote:
>
>> My office network is set up as follows:
>>
>> gateway/win xp home ed./apache
>> fbsd 4.8/apache
>> rh linux 9/apache
>> win xp home/lots of im'g
>> win xp home
>> * dual boot - debian/win me
>>
>> That last one's pending a repair and os installs currently runs w98.
>>
>> I'd like to move the gateway from my xp workstation to the fbsd box.
>> This raises a bunch of questions for me:
>>
>> 1. is there a CLI query to let me find the speed of the currently
>> installed modem?
>> 2. besides plugging my phone line into the fbsd modem and moving my
>> xp hosts file to /etc/hosts, what else is needed? e.g. how do I setup
>> the isp connection and the fbsd equivalent of window's internet
>> connection service?
>
> <snip, snip, snip>
>
> I suggest you read the handbook for dialup connections, specifically
> the section titled "Using User PPP".  As usual, there are many ways to
> accomplish this task, but this is probably the easiest to set up.

I would recommend avoiding natd, and using userland ppp with the -nat
option instead.  I run
my wife's Winbox (and my laptop) out through a FBSD 5.3 machine that
calls "ppp -nat -background myisp"....

The handbook's section on PPP was quite helpful to me, and is really a
must in this instance.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.