Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:12:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re-clocking a 16550 for 230,400:

(taken from a Usenet article I just posted.  Reposted here because it seems
appropriate):

I've looked over all the data sheets.  I've looked through a bunch of Usenet
FAQ's.  I've looked at the sources for my OS's serial device drivers.

Problem:  I need a 230,400 bps serial port.

Somebody's suggested solution:  Buy a Hayes high speed serial card, and
	select the "4x clock" option.

My objection:  Very expensive solution, particularly since my OS does not
	yet have driver support for the Hayes card, and it
	would be used in 16550-compat mode.

I'm running FreeBSD 2.0R.

I've looked at the NS data sheets for the 16550 which suggest that a 4MHz or
8MHz clock is fine, and that the maximum speed supported by the part is
256Kbps.  Now, it would seem to me that it would be a trivial hobbyist level
upgrade to toss a 3.6864MHz crystal on an ordinary, everyday PC serial card
to effectively double the clock rate.  I have not (yet) tried this, but I
was suprised that it was not covered in a FAQ, if it is as simple an upgrade
as it seems (I don't see why not).

I am using the Startech 16552 part for most of my serial ports, by the way,
in case it makes a difference.

Has anybody tried this?  Succeeded?  Failed?  Half & Half?  :-)

Since I don't think that this is of particular interest to the average
hacker, followups have been redirected to poster.  I will happily summarize
any answers (and my own results) if there is any interest in this.

... Joe