Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:35:34 -0600
From:      Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Drive/Partition Copying Utilities

At 12:33 PM 2/24/2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
>It's a bear to use to get dual-boot working with BootMagic with
>NTFS, though it's certainly possible to do (I posted on this
>in the past), but Partition Magic specifically warns you if
>you try to make an NTFS partition that's bootable span the 4G
>front of the disk.  Windows XP NTFS appears to have resolved
>this problem, at least to the normal 8G, if not better.  Are
>you sure you didn't just shoot yourself in the foot by ignoring
>the warning?

It was a while back, so I don't remember the exact details, but I believe I
was trying to move a Windows 2000 boot partition by a few
megabytes.  PartitionMagic bombed out midway through the process.  The
partition wouldn't boot after it was moved, and it was chock full of
errors.  After that I just kept my moving/resizing experiments limited to
FAT16/32 partitions.

> > For Linux and BSD filesystems, PartitionMagic will just tell you that the
> > partitions are there and then (wisely) not allow you to do anything with
> > them except format/delete them.
>
>Ah.  You are running 6.x, where NTFS support came in, but
>there was no warning.  7.x warns you, and 7.x is capable
>of moving EXT2 partitions around. [snip]

Does the new version allow you to resize ext2 filesystems?  And has anybody
added support for ext3 yet?  (I wouldn't expect so, but while I'm thinking
about it...)

--Chip Morton