Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:50:48 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        "F . Xavier Noria" <fxn@isoco.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: customizing CPUTYPE

> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:02:33 +1100
> From: Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 11:22:56PM +0100, F . Xavier Noria wrote:
> > I have an AMD Athlon XP 1700, do you know whether there is a suitable
> > value for CPUTYPE to customize make.conf?
>
> When you boot your kernel, it will tell you what kind of CPU you have:
>
> Dec 24 07:18:48 k7 /kernel: CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (1029.99-MHz 686-class
>  CPU)
>
> So for me it would be 686.

The CPU type in the boot message is relevant to the cpu specification
in the kernel configuration, but not to the CPUTYPE in make.conf. This
value is used for compiler optimization with the -march option to GNU
C and I have been told that K6 is preferred to 686 for the Athlon
with the current compiler. There is no specific -march option for the
Athlon in gcc 2.95.3. There may be one in version 3 when it is deemed
stable enough for FreeBSD.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)