Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:19:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   EtherExpress16 and if_ie.c

Not sure if this is the correct forum, maybe it should go to -hackers.
Redirects appreciated.

I have a number of EtherExpress16 ISA cards, none of which seemed to work
in FreeBSD.  After soliciting for experiences with this card on
-questions, I started digging into the driver a bit.  On my system (P90
running -current) it appears as if the card doesn't generate receive
interrupts.  Transmits seem to be fine.  ieinit() can sometimes bring the
receive interrupts to life (by a series of 'ifconfig down; ifconfig up' or
sometimes changing promisc mode by running tcpdump).  There doesn't seem
to be a reliable pattern to this, however.  Once the card starts working
it stays working, at least until the next reboot.

Is anyone still working on this driver?  Does anyone have online
documentation for the i82586 chip, or a pointer to past discussions about
the problems with this card?  The code indicates that there's a lot of
mystery bugs, and it looks like some of them are still there.

Oh, the driver also hangs the machine at reboot time.  After the disks
sync, the machine hangs with the message

ie1: frame from ether ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff type ffff

repeating indefinitely.

- Mike