Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:06:40 -0700
From:      gshaffer@nosc.mil (Greg Shaffer)
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        gshaffer@nosc.mil
Subject:   Adaptec 2940 & Diamond Stealth S3-Trio64 Problem

Recently, I upgraded to a new PCI motherboard, UMC chipset (8881/886a),
Am586-P75 133MHz CPU, Diamond Stealth 64 (S3-Trio64V+) with 2MB DRAM,
and an Adaptec 2940 (Ultra, aic7880) SCSI adapter. At the same time
I upgraded the hardware, I also upgraded XFree86 in my FreeBSD 2.1.0
installation to 3.1.2D since it fixed some S3-Trio64 bugs.

Right away I started to have problems with the X server (XF86_S3) locking
up the computer. When X starts up there is a flurry of disk activity,
sometimes the screen will change to my default background color, other
times the screen would flicker and then the machine would hang. In all
cases I noticed the disk access light on my external hard drive was always
on (even thought there was no continued disk activity) and remained on
until I reset the machine.

This problem originally occured under FreeBSD 2.1.0, upgrading to
FreeBSD-stable (current as of src-2.1.0067) did not solve the problem.
I also reinstalled my Adaptec 1542CF and the system works fine.

Is there anybody else running FreeBSD 2.1.0 or stable with the same or
similar setup that has had success? If so what are the BIOS version for
your controllers? Does anybody have any suggestions on how to trouble
shoot this problem?

Thanks
Greg Shaffer