Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 20:14:13 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: imap server?

rene@xs4all.nl (rene@xs4all.nl) wrote:

> Hi. I'd like to know more about how mailspools operate, specifically how I
> can re-synchronize a 'primary' mailserver when it has gone down for a while,
> and the 'backup' mailserver has received several mails that are now not on
> the primary..

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but are you referring to 'primary'
and 'backup' mail servers, such as the those you specify in DNS
records? If so, this doesn't really have anything to do with IMAP.

When a mail server attempts to deliver a message to foo.com, it checks
the DNS records for foo.com, which contains a prioritized list of mail
servers. If it can not connect to the primary server, it then attempts a
connection to the mail server with the next highest priority.

If a backup SMTP server receives email addressed to foo.com, it will
periodically attempt delivery to a higher-priority mail server.
The mail will be delivered to the primary mail server shortly after it
goes back online. You should not have to actively 'resynchronize' the
two servers.

You might also want to read up on the ETRN command, which will cause a
backup mail server to immediately deliver all its queued mail.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com