Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:04:03 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        kehl@f2s.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: How to boot FreeBSD from DOS?

On 13-Sep-2001 kehl@f2s.com wrote:
>  I've got notebook with not working floppy and it cannot boot from PCMCIA.
>  How
>  can I boot FreeBSD 4.0 (not PAO) from DOS (then I use PLIP)?
>
>  fbsdboot.exe wrote "Invalid format!"
>  bsdboot.com loaded kernel, than hanged up.
>
>  How to do it correctly and to specify MFS root file?

It is no longer (post FreeBSD 2.2) to do this because fbsdboot.exe doesn't
understand elf kernels. Even if it did Windows screws certain BIOS vectors that
FreeBSD needs to work (AFAIK).

I think your only option would be to put the HD from your laptop into another
that can boot off CD or floppy, or get an adapter to attach it to a desktop
machine.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum