Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:12:50 -0700
From:      Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Curious about SCM choice

On Jun 26, 2008, at 22:29, Doug Barton wrote:

> 1. It's better to start collecting meta-data (change sets, merge
> info, etc.) sooner than later.

May I assume by "collecting" you mean gathering together in a location
controlled by the FreeBSD team and made available to others? This was
an argument made here in favor of centralized systems like Subversion.
If someone is doing any significant work, we want it within the
project so others can see and use it.

> 4. Most of the other VCS' focus heavily on the idea of "distributed"
> operation, which doesn't really fit our development model.

The only real benefits I saw in distributed systems were private
branching and offline work. The former seems like it could be achieved
in Subversion by creating semi-private user directories like FreeBSD
does. As for the latter, while it's sometimes unavoidable (e.g.
working on an airplane) isn't something we really want to encourage.

--
Milo Hyson
Chief Scientist