Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:56:16 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSDPAN

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 03:33:03PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
>=20
> How do I use BSDPAN?
>=20
> I'm assuming that it's reasonably automagic, but have no idea where to
> start - I don't seem to have it installed, for one.
>=20
> I'm running -STABLE with the base perl.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a version of BSDPAN that works with
the base perl (ie. 5.005.03).  The BSDPAN modules aren't available
=66rom CPAN -- seems the only source is MASTER_SITE_LOCAL, eg:

    ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/tobez/

and there isn't an appropriate version there.

If you install one of the perl versions from ports, you'll get the
matching BSDPAN version automatically.  You don't need to do anything
special to use it, just install perl modules from CPAN in the normal
way:

    # perl -MCPAN -e shell

All BSDPAN does is subclass some of the ExtUtils modules to add some
glue between the ports/pkg system and CPAN, so you can use the pkg_*
tools on perl modules and so forth.

Although generally I find it's preferable to use the perl modules
available in the ports tree whenever available, as portupgrade(1)
can't deal with BSDPAN stuff.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20