Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:16:43 -0500
From:      James Ryan <james@infinityprosports.com>
To:        mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd vs. lukemftpd (forcing FTP-uploaded ...)

Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> понед╕лок 17 липень 2006 13:51, David J. Orman написав:
>> The stock ftp server?
>
> BTW, what is the stock ftp server on 6-stable? I see two -- ftpd and lukemftpd
> and both are installed...
>
> Is there a web-page with comparision somewhere, perhaps? Thanks!
>
> 	-mi

I am not aware of a stock FTP server that can accomplish what you are
asking for, at least without modifying the source or writing a plug-in
of some sort.

You may have already thought of this, but my 2-cents is:

If you don't mind waiting until the file finishes transferring to
examine it, you could 1) turn on verbose logging (ftpd -ll for stock
ftpd; other ftp servers have better logging though), 2) log directly to
a named pipe, 3) attach a simple script at the other end that determines
what the uploaded file is and deletes it accordingly.

I would not recommend using ftpd for this; as I recall, and somebody
correct me if I am wrong, it does not always log the complete path to an
uploaded file.  I'd suggest ProFTPd instead; it's CustomLog feature
allows you to specify your own log format (like Apache).  This means you
can make a convenient string to regex, such as "date|user|action|file".

Good luck,
James

--
James Ryan