Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:52:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        rb@gid.co.uk
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wi hostap mode WEP oddity

In message: <4.3.2.7.2.20020811210636.02068bf0@gid.co.uk>
            Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk> writes:
: I'm using a 3Com AirConnect (3CRWE777A) in hostap mode on a -STABLEish
: kernel, and I've observed an oddity which might explain some other reports.
: I'm setting 'wepmode on', but ifconfig subsequently reports 'wepmode MIXED'
: although wicontrol reports it as 'On'. I can't connect with a non-WEP
: client, so I believe the card really is in WEP-only mode and ifconfig is
: reporting it wrongly.

You maybe be correct about that.  I've not played with wep much, but
have noticed when I was playing with ad-hoc demo mode that I could get
a lucent card to connect w/o wep, but maybe I'm confused and it is a
simple bug in wi that it reports mixed.

: All seems to work except that client connexions drop after an indeterminate
: period (perhaps related to signal quality) and won't reconnect unless I
: ifconfig down then up the hostap interface. I'm going to see whether
: upgrading to the latest firmware effects any improvement. [Test client is a
: 3CRSHPW on Win2k running latest firmware.]

That's very odd.

Warner