Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:57:28 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Eric Anderson" <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very low disk performance Highpoint 1820a

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Anderson" <anderson@centtech.com>

>> Where do I start looking?

> First, understand that RAID 5 is dependant on fast hardware to performa
> the XOR operations.  A single disk without any RAID can easily
> outperform a RAID array if the RAID array is on a 'slow' controller.
> The Highpoint controllers are not exactly high-end fast RAID
> controllers, so ~50MB/s isn't too bad for that I would say.  Did you
> happen to try a vinum RAID5?  How about a stripe?

The quoted benchmarks for this controller are ~500MB/s with 8
raptor disks. Its a hardware RAID 5 with 8 SATA channels on 64Bit PCI-X
@ 133Mhz so under the current setup it should be achieving ~250MB/s
Im only getting 50MB/s which is just silly.

It was also my inderstanding that the XOR is only done on write
not read.

> You could make two RAID 5's with the controller, and then stripe those
> in vinum.  You could also do a combo of two stripes in the controller,
> and a vinum mirror in FreeBSD - that would give you decent performance.

I could but it seems there is something more problematic a foot
here and would like to investigate the reason for the poor performance
not workaround it.

    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.