Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:24:56 -0400
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD with Syslinux

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to make a FreeBSD 9.2 hybrid image (ie ISO & USB from the same file) and as part of that I need to
> use syslinux. Unfortunately I can't get Syslinux's mboot.c32 to run the kernel or loader as suggested at
> http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Mboot.c32 - it reports "Invalid Multiboot image: neither ELF header nor
> a.out kludge found".
>
> I suspect I would be able to use memdisk as I have used that in the past with syslinux (for 7.x) however this was
> seems a lot cleaner and easier to generate.
>
> Has anyone had any success with this?

I have not worked with Syslinux, but I do load a customized FreeBSD
8.x bootonly ISO via memdisk.  I have not done similar with 9.x yet,
but anticipate doing so with 9.2-RELEASE.  I touch on it briefly in a
blog post at http://blog.hostileadmin.com/2013/04/11/installing-freebsd-via-cobbler/
if you're interested.

--
Take care