Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:53:33 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fumbling at sound card

Mark Murray writes:
> Randy Bush wrote:
> >     pcm1 (SB16pnp <SB16 PnP> sn 0x1fd0a682) at 0x220-0x22f \
> >          irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa
> :
> >     pcm0 not probed due to drq conflict with pcm1 at 1
> >
> > what is the 'correct' change?
>
> Things are working properly - you just need to use /dev/audio1, /dev/dsp1
> etc.

...at least if the sound card really is a SoundBlaster or he wishes to
use as if it were a SoundBlaster.

I'd start by "mv kernel.config kernel.config.old", reboot, and see if
Luigi's snd and pnp code properly detects the card. If not, then let's
dig out the Vendor ID: (listed by dmesg) and add it to the list (such as
freebsd-multimedia). Mine looks like this:

Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: CSCd925 [0x25d9630e] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: @@@0000 [0x0000
0000]
mss_attach <CS4235>1 at 0x530 irq 5 dma 1:3 flags 0x13
pcm1 (CS423x/Yamaha <CS4235> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x530-0x537 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x1
3 on isa

Then the one item Randy is lacking:
# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV snd1

This creates the /dev entries and points symbolic links audio, dsp (and
others) to the correct devices for pcm1.