Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:15:28 -0700
From:      Ed Baxter <Ed.Baxter@pii.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to stop route redirects

How can I force freebsd 2.2.5 stable to ignore route redirects? Routed is turned off and
I tried specifying these routes as static routes but one of our routers sends redirects
when there is a WAN hiccup and internal traffic gets routed out to the internet
(default for the router). The static routes also get over ridden by the redirects. The
redirect would be fine except that when the WAN is back up the freebsd machine never
changes back. The Corp WAN guy has turned RIP off for the entire WAN so I think my only
option is to get the Freebsd machine to ignore the redirects.

I noticed that even without routed my route table contains "learned" routes and keeps
growing. Is it possible to turn this behavior off (would probably solve my redirect
problem). We have Sun Solaris machines that without routed contain only a couple routes
in their route table and it never changes. I would prefer this behavior.

Thanks for any help you can give...

Ed Baxter